1975 Fiat 128 Rally
"The Rally version was developed specifically for South Africa. It differs from the Continental version in retaining the standard 1300 engine and having four door coachwork. The engine difference is minor: the single choke carburettor version used here is less than 2kW down on the overseas Rally version but has more torque.
The South African Rally gets some useful extra equipment, including rev counter, oil pressure gauge, electric clock, cigar lighter, sports steering wheel, driver door mirror, and other items, plus "70" low-profile radials on ventilated sports type wheels" - reading this in 2019 makes you realise how far we have come!
This little gem is a "barn find", having last been registered in 1999 when it was parked in a garage and never moved again. The odometer shows 81,050km, and judging by the overall integrity of this car, it is highly likely that this is the true mileage. The paintwork is original but tired. The car was stored in Johannesburg in a hot dry climate, so there are no visible signs of rust. At some stage, a hideous boot spoiler was fitted but will be removed. [We apologise for the poor quality photos and yes, the car is standing on jacks in these photos which make the suspension look higher than normal]
We have started with a mechanical re-commissioning of this car which will include:
- Removing the fuel tank, chemically cleaning and coating it before refitting with new fuel lines. The carburettor has been rebuilt with a new kit;
- Complete brake system will be overhauled with new brake lines;
- Cooling system to be flushed and necessary parts replaced;
- Engine serviced before firing her up;
- Glass out / open door repaint in original colour;
- Engine detailed;
- New screen, door, boot and bonnet rubbers;
- Front and rear bumpers to be re-chromed;
- All brightwork cleaned, polished and refitted;
- New decal kit fitted to the doors / sills;
- Rims repainted in original silver;
- Original type spotlights will be refitted;
Rally versions of the little 128 are highly sought after - especially in 2 door form, as they were never built in large numbers. The four door version was built in small numbers for the South African market, and far less were built than the 2 dour counterpart.
The price includes all of the above, shipping and clearing in Australia, with prepping for Rego. We are happy to discuss additional work for prospective buyers. We expect this work to take approximately 2 months and the car will then ship to Australia.